Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kyle Andrews - Talk To The Beard (interview)

Incredibly gifted tunesmith Kyle Andrews released his latest masterpiece Robot Learn Love today (August 16th) via Elephant Lady Records. We caught up with Andrews for an insightful chat about his process and what he would bring to a desert island.

TE - You have had a great deal of success in placing songs in advertisements and on TV, were the songs that got placed written expressly for that purpose? Does past commercial success influence the way you write a track now?

KA - First and foremost I write and record music for my own enjoyment. It's just what I like to spend all my time doing. That anyone else enjoys listening or finds the music useful and valuable is really tremendous. Getting feedback from people and hearing how a certain song gets their day going or helps them through tough times is both humbling and inspiring. In terms of trying to write a certain way so that it will get used or make money? It would be difficult to guess that sort of thing, it's not always the songs you would think would get used. Also, I don't have that great of an attention span, I have to be working on something that I'm emotionally invested in. Anything I've done that has been used has just been love songs to friends/family.

TE - If you were to be trapped on a desert island for the rest of your life (I hope this never happens to you) and could only bring three albums what would they be?

KA - Ha! thanks!?
If this happens I'm not going to last long… I'd take The Beatles white album because it's really 2 records and its a lot of variety… some slow songs and some rockers. I'd take Fleetwood Mac rumors, again you get variety cuz they have 3 lead singers. At this point I'm going to be pretty dehydrated and delirious so I'm going to put on Moby's Play and just chill out.


TE - 'Robot Learn Love' is very much a concept album (the juxtaposition of analog and digital mediums), you recorded some of the vocals through laptop mics and others through top-of-the-line studio preamps and you simulated some of the drums with software but then had real, live string players record with you, how do you feel going to such lengths improves the final outcome?

KA - You just follow where the process leads you. In general you have a feel for where you want to go but once you start the process suggests what is next. I put down a drum beat and if I listen close enough it will say "hey kyle, play a really buzzy keyboard part over me" or "I would like to hang out with some syncopated electric guitar" So there are no real rules or guidelines. I love working with that freedom and disregard for the what is the "right" way to go about things. 
TE - What is your favourite piece of "gear"?

KA - If I had only my computer and no other gear I would still be able to make something that expresses what I want. 

TE - Would you rather be able to hear any conversation or be able to take back anything you say?

KA - For a quiet person I say many foolish things. I would like to take it back.
You'd drive yourself nuts trying to listen to every conversation ever.

TE - Congratulations on the release of Robot Learn Love today. We've been really digging it and have had it on regular rotation around here for some time now. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us today and we hope you make it up to Vancouver soon. Keep it going!

No comments:

Post a Comment