Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tasty Ears Mixtape

The SSRIs
On Location with Tasty Ears
(Video coming soon)

If someone had asked me a week ago, "What are you up to for the next seven days?", I don't think I would have answered,   "Listening to a shit ton of new music, buying a bunch of concert tickets and having a silly time with the SSRIs on Sunday out in the woods, of course. But, that is what I did.

This last Sunday we connected with Vancouver punk rockers the SSRIs at an undisclosed location in the forest. We trucked in all the band gear and a generator plus recording gear and a camera, to shoot an upcoming episode of Tasty Ears On Location. Stayed tuned music fans! For more photos and a review of the shoot check Shaine Jones Photography .

Tuesday was like my birthday, with releases from Cold War Kids, Destroyer, Iron & Wine, and Cloud Nothings (please understand it was not my actual b-day). I'll start with a few words on the new Cloud Nothings album. A fun, fresh, pop-punk, full length debut from Cleveland's Dylan Baldi and co. Watch the video below. Spoiler Alert! Just when I thought it was just another "innocent teenagers,  through the lens of 8mm video cameras" it gets  fun.



Iron & Wine's new album "Kiss Each Other Clean" is another solid album from the indie veterans (gone major label). Sam Beam is back with the full band again this time only bigger. The first single Walking Far From Home is good example of what Iron & Wine do best.

Amazeballs new album from Destroyer titled Kaputt. Go buy it. This new album from Vancouver's own Dan Bejar is easily my favourite Destroyer so far. The style is, what I believe would have fallen into, Adult Contemporary in the late eighties/early nineties record shops (whatever those are). Lots of reverb and trumpets, what more do you want? Bejar is cool, I read somewhere that he recorded some of the vocals while lying on the couch. I know right? Give it a listen on today's mixtape.

The Cold War Kids have long been a favourite of mine. There new album Mine Is Yours is what I was hoping their last album was going to be. And I liked the last album so... The song writing has matured nicely, Royal Blue (hear it on the mixtape) being a fine example. I don't care for the producers choice to "over produce" this album, like every song is coming over the airwaves of some Top 40 radio station. I can't wait to see these songs performed live. Go!

It was pointed out to me that I forgot to mention the upcoming release from Middle Brother. Made up of the lead singers from Deer Tick, Delta Spirit, and Dawes. Check out a track from there upcoming album on the mixtape.

Jack White's Third Man Records is about to release an album from Sweden's First Aid Kit. The B-side of the single is a cover of Buffy St. Marie's Universal Soldier. It rounds out this weeks mixtape.

Upcoming shows
Diamond Rings is coming back March 11 at The Biltmore
Sharon Van Etten March 29 at the Media Club
The Foals April 10 at the Commodore




MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

1 comment:

  1. Cold War kids rule, their new album is great. I can't wait to see them in concert. Middle Brother is a good recommendation. Vocals from John McCauley of Deer Tick, you can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete